Tuesday, May 23, 2017

March 26, 2017

This past weekend we baptized another Chinese brother named Jerry. Jerry is a hilarious Chinese guy in his early 20's who always makes us laugh. When we first met him, he was at a level 1/10 on the scale of being a solid investigator. He could hardly speak any English and he smoked 30 cigarettes a day. The first time he came to church, he had to step outside three times to smoke. We challenged him to be baptized in two weeks on the 25th of March. Right after we taught him the Restoration, we immediately taught him the Word of Wisdom. We brought Chinese members with us to nearly every lesson and they helped out heaps with translating for us and Jerry. Jerry cut down 5 cigarettes almost every day and in two weeks he had completely quit smoking. Right before he went in for his baptism interview, he handed me his last pack of cigarettes and told me he was done. I never thought I'd be so happy to hold a pack of cigarettes in my hand; I chucked them in the trash can with joy.
Jerry passed his interview and was baptized last Saturday. Lanhao, our recent convert, baptized him. After he was baptized Jerry said he felt peaceful, like he had nothing in the world to worry about. He said "Today is PERFECT! WAN MEI!" (wan mei means "perfect" in Chinese). He was confirmed on Sunday by our Elders Quorum President, Shawn Ye, who is also from China. I've gained a testimony of miracles on my mission. My companion and I talked about how we never would've expected that man to get baptized. But Heavenly Father has proven to me that even things I doubt He can make happen. He supported Jerry in giving up smoking--it was a challenge for him. He blessed us with members to translate for Jerry--we never would have been able to communicate without them. He blessed us with the opportunity to learn Mandarin so we could teach Jerry the little we knew in his own language. And He blessed us to meet Jerry on the street in the first place. 
I'm so grateful for the miracles I've seen here. I've experienced struggles and trials on my mission, but I went through them so I could experience pure joy in the end. I know Jesus Christ offers us peace and transformation through the power of His Atonement. I know the Church has been restored which gives us access to that Atonement. I'm grateful for you and the rest of my family who have shown me what happiness is. I look forward to seeing you in a few months. I love you!



No comments:

Post a Comment