Tuesday, May 23, 2017

March 15, 2017

We're currently teaching several investigators on baptismal date. One of them is Jerry, a hilarious college student from China. He loves to make jokes. The other day he came to sacrament meeting for the first time (he asked his boss to switch his shifts on Sunday so he could come, but he didn't set an alarm. He explained that he normally sleeps in late, but for some reason that morning he just woke up and couldn't fall back asleep. Heavenly Father doesn't sit back and let coincidences happen, he makes sure people get where they need to be :). When the deacons began passing the sacrament, he started looking around panicked, and whisper-yelled "What's going on?! What do I need to do?!" I tried to explain in Chinese what the sacrament was but I quickly realized it's nearly impossible to pronounce the tones correctly when you whisper. Thankfully I had my Mandarin language study notebook with me, and I flipped open to a page that said in Chinese, "We eat bread drink water remember Jesus Christ's Atoning Sacrifice". Jerry's face went, Ahhhh, as he said "ming bai, ming bai" (I understand, I understand). The whole scene was hilarious, and we still joke about it all the time. Jerry has been working hard to cut back his smoking so he can be baptized on the 25th this month. I have faith that he can do it, because I've witnessed the power of the Atonement in how it transforms people, and Jerry's countenance is already beginning to brighten. 
I'll keep you updated as we go; the City Branch begins this Sunday so I'll have plenty of stories to share next Monday.















Teaching the Plan of Salvation to Jerry (he insisted we get a photo)

Summer, our Relief Society President in the branch (she's only been a member for one year). She helps us teach our investigators all the time (and does a great job at translating for us). 

No comments:

Post a Comment